Re: How to compile kernel for i686 instead of i386?

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 10:52:54PM +0530, Mayuresh wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 10:06:10AM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 01:28:11PM +0530, Mayuresh wrote:
> > > Boot time may serve as a rough measure of kernel performance since it is
> > > the kernel that acts the most at that time.
> >
> > But kernel does unusual things during boot, like wait for i2c devices to
> > respond identifying your ram modules, or similar for disks. This never
> > happens again later, and is usualy not bound by kernel performance, but
> > devices.
>
> Are any of those waits tweakable?
>
> Wonder why Linux does these things faster. May be it parallelizes them?

Maybe it does.

autoconf(9) does (and expects to) run in a single thread.  If someone
was to tackle the project of being multi-threaded (which is necessary
for reasons besides making boot faster), I think that a lot of people
would help out with advice and moral support.

Dave

--
David Young
dyoung%pobox.com@localhost    Urbana, IL    (217) 721-9981