Re: ndp -a stops for a while because of lo0

Lars Schotte <gustik%gustik.eu@localhost> writes:

> On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 14:22:17 -0400
> Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> wrote:
>
>> use '-n' to disable dns.  on my machine, 'ndp -a' is quick.
> well, that's right, i did not expect that it may be DNS that makes this
> all slower, with ndp -an it's fast to me as well.

One of my debugging rules is to always disable DNS lookups.  I don't
understand what's being looked up, but it's possible the fe80: addresses
are and your DNS is broken.

>> That's a 'link local' address.  I think every interface is required to
>> have one, and there's no reason they have anything to do with MAC
>> addresses.
> Link Local would be ::1, or not???

No, link local is within fe80::/64.  ::1 is a loopback address,
analogous to 127.0.0.1 in IPv4.

> But OK, I see the point that they need to have one with fe80::1 but if
> this is required for loopback is the question. Maybe a sysctl control
> could be made so that per default auto_linklocal would be disabled for
> loopback device(s) (lo/lo0).

You haven't explained why it's a) wrong or b) problematic to have a
link-local address on loopback.

>> I've been running IPv6 for many years with NetBSD, and it generally
>> works.  So you should perhaps post exactly what you are doing, what
>> you expect to see, and what you are seeing.   I would suggest posting
>> to netbsd-users, unless your mail e.g. contains an analysis from the
>> standards and is pointing out a particular proble.
> Maybe you are talking now about my neighbor discovery problem, but
> there i already found out that NetBSD maybe does have only the older
> implementation of ND IPv6, the one before:
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4861

It's quite possible that things are out of date.  If you have the time
to analyze the standards and the code/behavior, and send a message
explaining exactly what behavior does not match the specifications, that
would be useful.  I have the impression that you are have an unusual
networking setup and are running into problems that others do not have
(which doesn't mean that the code is perfect).