Re: Do you advise me to adopt NetBSD?

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 05:03:22PM +0200, vitsen%gmx.com@localhost wrote:
> On 2012-10-11 16:07, Pongthep Kulkrisada wrote:
> >It lacks hardware supports for daily used devices e.g. memory stick.
>
> Does this mean that I won't be able to read USB memory
> sticks or SD cards from NetBSD? If this is indeed the case,
> then it is a major limitation!!!
> Are external memory media the only problematic area, or
> may I also encounter problems with printers, scanners, etc?

Yes, we had such a case that some certain type of USB-stick didnt work.
It was my Kingston USB-to-MicroSD adapter.

After announcing this problem on this mailing list I got in touch with a
developer from Germany, Matthias Drochner. And in less then a week and
after a few e-mails he sent me a link with the fixed and working kernel
- already compiled. I still use this kernel and the Kingston USB-stick
too.

These patches are already a part of NetBSD 6.0, of course. Nothing to
worry about!

Cheers
herb langhans