Re: build.sh | tools | version

Darrel <levitch%iglou.com@localhost> wrote:

> The option -u to build.sh causes a reasonably fast build even with this
> old machine that I am using at the moment; however, how often, if ever, do
> I want to build tools again?  If I changed from netbsd-6 to current would
> -u be best left out?  Or had I been at netbsd-5 and changed to netbsd-6
> would I build tools?

Tools (tooldirs) cannot be shared between trunk and "major" branches -
use different tooldirs if you work with several branches, or nuke your
old tooldir if you are switching to a new branch.

I'm confused by the way you phrase your question though: "how often,
if ever, do I want to build tools again" - it doesn't make sense.  (I
deliberately ignore the case where one would run make wrapper manually
- it's obvious that's not what you ask).  If you use update builds,
tools are always built just as anything else.  If there was a fix to
make(1) or gcc(1) or any other tool, your "build.sh -u release" &c
will rebuild affected tool as necessary.

> I would guess that tools can be rebuilt for every build and it would
> just take up more time.

See above.  They *are* rebuilt for every build but for update builds
with no changes to the tools it takes (relatively) little time.

You can probably get specific number for your machine by running
appropriate build.sh -u tools twice in a row.

-uwe