Re: netbsd-6 BETA2: raid starts after cgd.

On Sun, 01 Jul 2012, David Brownlee wrote:
On 28 June 2012 18:02, Jimmy Johansson <jimmy%update.uu.se@localhost> wrote:
[problems because /etc/rc.d/cgd runs before /etc/rc.d/raidframe]

Everything seems to run as expected if I add "# BEFORE: cgd" to
/etc/rc.d/raidframe, which seems to support that my problem indeed is
that cgd is started before raidframe.

Starting raidframe before cgd makes more sense in my opinion, because
I'd rather run a cgd ontop of a raid instead of a raid ontop 2 cgds.

I'd like to finish off by saying that everything else with NetBSD 6 BETA2
has been smooth sailing, except for this little snag.

I could see a use case either way, though I agree cgd-on-raid is
probably more common than raid-on-cgd.

Would anyone have any objections to changing the default?

At present, there's nothing to explicitly set the relative order in which /etc/rc.d/cgd and /etc/rc.d/raidframe are run. cgd happens to run first due to an implementation choice in rcorder(8), but this is not promised by the interface.

I'd suggest leaving the defaults unchanged in NetBSD, and doing one of
the following on the end user's system:

  * Use raidframe auto-configuration, to make the kernel
    configure the raid(4) devices earlier.

  * Edit /etc/rc.d/cgd to add "REQUIRE: raidframe"

  * Edit /etc/rc.d/raidframe to add "BEFORE: cgd"

  * Add an extra file, /etc/rc.d/cgd-before-aidframe or something,
    with both "REQUIRE: cgd" and "BEFORE: raidframe".

--apb (Alan Barrett)