Re: Linux emulation: "Inappropriate file type or format" error

On Sat, Jun 09, 2012 at 03:15:56PM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> >If I mount a copy of the live cd's root system under /emul/linux (or
> >elsewhere) and try to run (say) bash from this copy, I get aforementioned
> >error.
>
> /emul/linux is special. Try making it point to you cdrom's root.

(A small update on this thread is I am now trying opensuse 12.1 instead of
11.3 when I started this thread.)

Yes, I did the same - soft linking /emul/linux to suse's dump. That's when
I got above error.

On the contrary, now I realize that, letting /emul/linux continue to point
to /usr/pkg/emul/linux, if I directly run the binaries from the dump, I am
able to do so - at least a few binaries (like bash).

However trying to chroot to the dump still draws the same error.

Further, instead of chrooting, if I set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to dump's lib
and usr/lib, I can run even more of the programs from the dump, though
most programs don't find the .so files as the minor version suffix that
the binary expects doesn't match with the available so files. (Wonder why
a dump of a working SuSe cd should have such mismatches. Does Linux loader
salvage such situations and manage to load a nearly matching .so?)

Now if I manually soft link the libraries, things move further, though
obviously it's difficult to go on manually soft linking like that.

Gone this far. Would highly appreciate some further insights.

Mayuresh.