Re: Some USB-Drive is not working with NetBSD. How to address the right developer?

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 06:23:56AM -0400, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> > Hi List,
> > I have some Kingston USB-drive (for Micro-SDs) here. It is not working
> > with NetBSD - though OSX and FreeBSD seems to be ok.
>
> > Googling this issue tells me, it is a NetBSD bug (most likely).
>
> > I would like to contact the maintainer (kernel?), eventually send him or
> > the team this USB-drive so they can work on the bug.
>
> > The question is: How to find the right developer? Any ideas?
>
> > Thanks!
> > herb langhans
>
> I didn't google this particular issue when I had the same problem on one
> discontinued lot of Kingston Data Traveler 2 GB USB sticks not working with
> NetBSD.
>
> Other USB sticks, including other Kingston Data Travelers, were OK with
> NetBSD, and these problem Kingston Data Travelers were OK with FreeBSD,
> Linux, and even OpenIndiana and FreeDOS.
>
> I assumed without googling that it was a NetBSD bug.
>
> Tom

Hi Tom,
can you please plug the USB stick in and submit the output of #dmesg
here on the mailing list. I will put them together and send them to the
kernel maintainers. Mine looks like this:

*** good USB stick/Kingston Data Traveler 1GB ***
umass0 at uhub3 port 3 configuration 1 interface 0
umass0: Kingston DataTraveler 2.00000000625, rev 2.00/2.00, addr 2
umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
scsibus0 at umass0: 2 targets, 1 lun per target
sd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0: <Kingston, DataTraveler 2.0, 1.00> disk
removable
sd0: fabricating a geometry
sd0: 953 MB, 953 cyl, 64 head, 32 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 1952256 sectors
sd0: fabricating a geometry

*** bad USB stick/Kingston Micro SD reader ***
umass0 at uhub3 port 3 configuration 1 interface 0
umass0: Silicon Motion, Inc. Generic USB2.0 card, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2
umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
scsibus0 at umass0: 2 targets, 1 lun per target
sd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0: <Generic, USB  SD Reader, 1.00> disk removable
sd0(umass0:0:0:0): generic HBA error
sd0: drive offline
sd0(umass0:0:0:0): generic HBA error
sd0: unable to open device, error = 5

I am sure the guys can fix this, they just cannot try out all the USB
sticks what exist. I suspect some chip inside them, probably the 'Silicon
Motion' type what you can see in the dmesg-output.

Thanks!
herb langhans

--
sprachtraining langhans