Re: FTP-client for Windows, safety concerns

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 09:39:30AM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> On 2012-06-15 09:18, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >Johnny Billquist wrote:
> >>
> >>Windows used to ship with an ftp client. Did they stop recently?
> >>Mac OS X still have an ftp client in the basic system.
> >>There is no need (as far as I know) to install some third party
> >>freeware ftp client. What was the problem?
> >Windows has its built-in FTP client in Explorer (not Internet Explorer)
> >since Windows 2000. just type ftp://user@URL and it will nicely ask for
> >your password and work perfectly for upload and download. It works
> >reliably.
> >
> >On Mac ftp will do the same and mount on your desktop however (at least,
> >until 10.4.8) it is read-only. On Mac I use FTP client from the GAP
> >project (http://gap.nongnu.org) just because I happen to be the author
> >and I trust my own code! (It may be full of bugs and limitations, but I
> >know it doesn't steal my own passwords) and the same application runs on
> >NetBSD with GNUstep.
> >
> >However, on mac you have an excellent "ftp" CLI app, for those who do
> >not fear and ncftp, which is really excellent, is either shipped or
> >available for it too (depending on the Mac version).
>
> In a terminal window (console, CMD, whatever) just type ftp. Why do
> people make it so complicated.
> There is already an ftp client available, distributed with the OS,
> which works, and is a safer bet than any downloaded 3rd party
> client, if you are concerned about safety issues...
>
> Or can't people use keyboards anymore?
>
>       Johnny

You getting close to the reason about 'can't use keyboards'.

If you send somebody the install file for lftp, you will soon receive a
phone call:

- Hi Herb!
- Hi User, did you try lftp?
- Yes, that's why I call you. It doesn't work.
- What's wrong, User? Can't you start the program?
- Well, it installed well and I can start it. But then it kind of hangs
  up. I have a black screen and it just shows lftp:>
- ( ... )

People want to click on something. And they want to see cat pictures too ...

Cheers
herb