Getting sound from frontside headphone jack?

Possibly a trivial question, but googling didn't come up with an answer.

I have a computer with Realtek ALC888. Shows up in dmesg (NetBSD 5.99.8) as
shangrila:~ $ dmesg |grep audio
hdaudio0 at pci0 dev 27 function 0: HD Audio Controller
hdaudio0: interrupting at ioapic0 pin 16
hdafg0 at hdaudio0: Realtek ALC888
audio0 at hdafg0: full duplex, playback, capture, independent

I can get sound out of the backside jack, but my headphone cable is
quite short, so I'd like to use the frontside. However, I get no sound
there.
I suppose this should be possible using mixerctl somehow, but changing
the volume on each of the 16 outputs.masterXX seems to make no
difference. How do I do this?

/Lasse