Re: Good www links on configuring NetBSDfor performance / security

On Fri, 18 May 2012, Steve Faleiro wrote:

> I'm a newbie to NetBSD but experienced with Linux. Is there any good
> material on the www related to configuring LAMP for security and high
> performance?

Welcome to NetBSD.

I don't know of any documentation specifically about setting up the
"AMP" stack features for NetBSD. One of NetBSD's many strengths is that
the configurations of third-party software are generally sane because
following the documentation provided by the third party generally just
works. (NetBSD normally doesn't make an effort to confuse, hide, or
change third-party configurations.)

For basic tuning, you may want to see
http://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-tuning.html

NetBSD provides the components of the AMP stack via its package
collection. But several alternatives are also available too, such as
thttpd / postgresql / ruby and many others in the package collection.

For performance discussion it may depend on your current or expected
load (requests, etc.). If you have any details, I am sure someone here
can provide some advice.

For security, see
http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?security+7+NetBSD-current  for some
interesting techniques.

(By the way, Apache on NetBSD has been very reliable for me. I have one
system with continuous but light use with near 2000 days uptime.)

Enjoy!