Re: Banning installation of particular packages

At Sun, 6 May 2012 14:55:06 +0100, Andrew Smallshaw
<andrews%sdf.lonestar.org@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Banning installation of particular packages

> Is there any way I can name particular packages as ones that should
> never be installed on a particular system under any circumstances?
> I write this after having to uninstall CUPS for what seems like at
> least the dozenth time.  It and a couple of other packages get
> pulled in by seemingly random packages, and I'd rather not have
> them anywhere near my system.

If you are building from pkgsrc you can add a definition for "BROKEN" in
the Makefile of the offending packages, say like this:

    BROKEN=             we do not ever need/want ncurses!!!

[:-)]

and then anything attempting to pull them in will be stopped mid-build
and you'll have a chance to ferret out the reason why they were being
pulled in and hopefully be able to devise a work-around to avoid them.

Watch out for things that the pkgsrc infrastructure tries to decide upon
based on whether it thinks they are "built into" the host OS or not....

--
                                                Greg A. Woods
                                                Planix, Inc.

<woods%planix.com@localhost>       +1 250 762-7675        http://www.planix.com/