Re: how to use the live image?

On 15 May 2012 22:43, Jeremy C. Reed <reed%reedmedia.net@localhost> wrote:
> I used the recent HEAD "live-image" target to create the 176 MB
> releasedir/amd64/installation/liveimage/amd64live.img.gz
>
> The docs say "The live image is suitable for use as a disk image in
> virtual machine environments such as QEMU ..."

I used the live image a few days ago (but on i386 -current), a USB
stick was written from the decompressed i386live.img.gz. It worked
fine booting an Asus Eee netbook (but I had to reinstall it - could
not figure out if it was possible to resize the 16GB stick, it was
showing only about 2 GB).

In my i386/installation/liveimage directory there is also
i386emu.img.gz, which I suspected was for use with QEMU - but I have
never tried it myself.

> I uncompressed it (1409 MB) and tried to boot with qemu -hda
> amd64live.img.  qmeu needs it to be writable so chmod u+w. It boots the
> boot loader. The kernel mostly boots. But then stops at:
>
> boot device: <unknown>
> root device:
> use one of: re0 wd0[a-p] cd0[a-p] ddb halt reboot
>
> I tried wd0a and then wd0b for swap. I tried generic file system, ffs,
> cd9660. I tried booting with -fda and -cdrom but these won't even boot
> the loader.
>
> Where are the doc and examples for booting this image with qemu?
>
> Thanks

Chavdar

--
----