Re: update rythmus from pkgsrc?

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 09:02:06AM +0200, Maurizio Caloro wrote:
> - what are here the rythmus from update tree pkgsrc?

Different, depends on the pkg. Usually we track "stable" branches/releases,
sometimes experimental "devel" versions are available in separate packages.

For example, look at Firefox: we have www/firefox36 (and the coresponding
devel/xulrunner) package, as that is the last version (currently) supporting
many of our architectures (e.g. sparc64 is broken in all newer firefox).
Then we have www/firefox, which is at version 12 - the latest official
release. We currently do not have a firefox devel (or beta) package,
since the quick release cycle pushes things out quickly and keeping
it working for all pkgsrc environments is a lot of work (see the lengthy
discussion and debugging that was required to get newer firefox running
on DragonFly, if you care, in the mailing list archives).

So general answer: depends on upstream release cycle, available developer
power, and various "enviromental conditions". Tested patches to update
versions are always welcome, or active work for example in pkgsrc/wip.

Martin