How can I install additional distribution set(s) from booted installation?

I have a 5.12-sparc64 installation with kernel, base and text distribution
sets already installed and in bootable condition.

I want now to add the compiler (comp.tgz) distribution set to this existing
installation.

I cannot seem however to get netbsd-INSTALL.gz to complete this task for some
reason -- after netbsd-INSTALL.gz downloads comp.tgz and progresses about 17%
into installation it then halts to a shell prompt. Does netbsd-INSTALL.gz have
some kind of log I can check to determine why it is halting?

As an alternative approach is there any way to command an already booted /
running installation to install the comp.tgz distribution set just the same as
netbsd-INSTALL.gz would?