Re: wedges, disk access, smartd/smartctl

On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 10:19:06AM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:
> On Sep 22,  1:51pm, Petar Bogdanovic wrote:
> }
> } when trying to access a `wedged' disk with smartctl or smartd, both
> } tools fail with:
> }
> }     # smartctl -a /dev/wd0d
> }     Smartctl open device: /dev/wd0d failed: Device busy
> }
> } Is there a workaround for this?
>
>      Try smartctl -a /dev/rwd0d (i.e. use the raw device).

Thanks!  Additionally, I had to specify the device type:

        # smartctl -a /dev/rwd0d
        /dev/rwd0d: Unable to detect device type

        # smartctl -d ata -a /dev/rwd0d
        === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
        Model Family:     SAMSUNG SpinPoint P80 SD series
        Device Model:     SAMSUNG HD160JJ
        (...)