select() timeout

Hi,

How does timeout of select() work for short timeouts (less than timecounter
tick period)?  I am working on a serial bus protocol where the master first
sends out a data packet and then waits for a reply from a slave.  Timecounter
tick is 10 ms on this box (a net5501) and I would like to use timeouts of
1 ms or even less when data bytes are coming in.

I was using a fixed 20 ms timeout and the protocol was working ok for most
of the time, but sometimes I got a burst of receive timeouts.  I'm not sure
if the data is held in the tty buffers or if my timeout logic is failing yet.

So, are short timeouts reliable with select()?

Thanks,

  -jm