USB device usermount

I can allow a non root user to mount a pluggable USB device. For this I do
2 things:
1. Set vfs.generic.usermount=1 in /etc/sysctl.conf
2. chmod og+rw <the_device>

But, in general, I find step 2 above problematic since there is no
guaranteed correlation between a USB device and where it appears on /dev.

Firstly, next time around I try to mount the same detachable disk
depending on sequence in which USB devices were connected to the computer
the_device may be different.

Secondly, in next session, I might attach a different detachable drive
that maps to the_device, compromising its access permissions.

Ideally, I am looking for a way by which root can set access permission on
device by unique ID of the device - somewhat like uuid on Linux.

Any solutions to this?

Mayuresh.