Re: Encrypting textfiles from shell

Here is what I worked out at one point. Though Id does need some refinement.

Tar & gzip the password file and encrypt using openssl des3 and a secret key. Replace the text "secretkey" with your secret password.

[root@unixfoo-lin23 ~]# tar cvzf - passwd_info.txt | openssl des3 -salt -k secretkey | dd of=encrypted_passwd_info
passwd_info.txt
20+1 records in
20+1 records out

Decryption

While decrypting the file, use the steps below. Replace the text "secretkey" with your secret password which you provided during encryption.

[root@unixfoo-lin12 ~]# dd if=encrypted_passwd_info |openssl des3 -d -k secretkey |tar xvzf -
20+1 records in
20+1 records out
passwd_info.txt

As grievously noted gpg or gpg-zip might do what you need.