Can latest stable pkgsrc be used for any NetBSD release?

Hi all,

I have a production machine running NetBSD 4.0 and in order to install
some software I want to download pkgsrc and make the packages myself.
Reading the NetBSD pkgsrc guide is not clear to me if I can use pkgsrc
stable with any NetBSD release, is this so?

Thanks,
Fred.

"UNIX is very simple, it just needs a genius to understand its simplicity."
-- Dennis Ritchie, D.E.P.