softdep : why not the default

Today I had first unclean poweroff incidence with NetBsd though it
recovered fine after that.

Just to be cautious I read various mail threads in this mailing list
regarding ffs. Now that raises a few questions in my mind:

1. softdeps mount option's description claims speedups but no apparent
disadvantage is mentioned. So why is softdeps not the default?

2. Read threads that it will be replaced with journaling in future
releases. Seems mainly for maintenance concerns. In what way would it
matter to a user - speed? ability to recover? etc?

3. As of now on I am struggling to decide whether to enable softdeps or
not. Any quick advice on that?

Mayuresh.