Re: Installing netbsd on another drive using existing installation

On 11/17/11 12:11 PM, Mayuresh wrote:

I just want to do very minimal steps in installation phase and would
prefer doing installation etc by bootng the new system.

Also I don't necessarily need to replicate everything from sd1 to sd0.
E.g. /usr etc. - unless it is _required_ for a successful boot up from
sd0.

I see. In that case I think you have at least 2 options here: Use the installer (booted off your sd1 disk) or use the following...

The approach below is probably simpler and quicker (since you have a working system) than booting/running the install kernel. But that's a perfectly fine option too.

1. Format and partition sd0 to your preference.

2. mount the partitions on sd0 on /mnt

  # mount /dev/sd0a /mnt
  # mount /dev/sd0e /mnt/usr
  # mount /dev/sd0f /mnt/var

3. Retrieve and unpack the sets. I'm assuming i386, and that you want netbsd-5 (i.e. NetBSD 5.1_STABLE) with a full install but no `x' sets.

  # cd /mnt
  # for i in kern-GENERIC base etc comp games man misc text ;do
> ftp -o "|pax -zrvpe " http://nyftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-5/201111121930Z/i386/binary/sets/${i}.tgz
  > done

4. Set up /mnt/etc/rc.conf for networking etc. (maybe copy from the working system)

5. Set up /mnt/etc/fstab

6. Set up /boot.cfg (look at your working system)

7. Installboot

   # installboot -v /dev/rsd0a /mnt/usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv1

8. Make devices

   # cd /mnt/dev && sh MAKEDEV all

9. Reboot.