Re: How to update bind (binary package)

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 7:31 AM, feralert <feralert%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Sorry if this is quite obvious, but I have to admin a NetBSD 4.0
> machine we use as DNS and I'm lost here.
>
> As you might be aware of, a 0-day vulnerability has been found in bind
> 9 and a  patch to address it has been released. Since I am using the
> version of bind that was installed via pkg_add (I guess, since the dir
> /var/db/pkg/bind-9.4.2pl1 exists), which is version 9.4, affected by
> the 0-day, what is the best way to update the binary package?, are
> security updates for this packages released in any way?.

Use pkg_info to see which pkg you have now.

Here's what's currently in pkgsrc:
bind96/Makefile:BIND_VERSION=   9.6-ESV-R5-P1
bind97/Makefile:BIND_VERSION=   9.7.4-P1
bind98/Makefile:BIND_VERSION=   9.8.1-P1

I can't say if a binary pkg will be ready for your platform in time
for this security update, but you can definitely download pkgsrc and
build whatever you need.  (I only have netbsd 5, or I would make one
for you)

http://www.netbsd.org/docs/software/packages.html

Then use 'make package' to generate binary pkgs of your own and update
your system as needed.