Re: How to restrict (audio) device permissions to a group?

At Mon, 14 Nov 2011 09:15:58 +0100,
Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 01:16:07AM +0530, Mayuresh wrote:
> > While trying to get audio work on NetBSD I realize the audio device is
> > writable to all.
> >
> > Can the use of audio device be restricted to a group of users only?
> > (I am not really looking for who-ever-logs-in-at-desktop-gets-permissions
> > stuff. Just looking for statically defined perbmissions using group
> > membership.)
>
> By normal file permissions, applied to the audio devices. In case you have
> only one audio device:
>
> chgrp audiogroup /dev/audio0 /dev/audioctl0 /dev/sound0
> chmod o-rwx /dev/audio0 /dev/audioctl0 /dev/sound0
> chmod g+rwx /dev/audio0 /dev/audioctl0 /dev/sound0
>
> where audiogroup is defined in /etc/group
>
> groupadd audiogroup
> vi /etc/group
>
> and add the users you want after tha last : of the line with audiogroup,
> seperated by ,

I would expect that some more has to be done: some access to the audio
device might come from daemons running as root (or as audiogroup). In
that case you will want to restrict access to these daemons as well.

Best regards,

Marko