Re: raidframe and ffs block size interaction

On Fri, 7 Oct 2011, Matthias Scheler wrote:
On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 02:19:56PM -0500, Jonathan A. Kollasch wrote:
How do you get maximum performance out of a RAID-1 raid(1) and still use
2KiB or 4KiB FFS frag sizes?

I've benchmark this a while back. You can find my results here:

http://zhadum.org.uk/2008/07/25/raid-and-file-system-performance-tuning/

In short:
I got the best performance with 128 sectors per stripe unit, a frag-size
of 2KB and a blocksize of 166KB I'm using these settings to this day
and the RAID performane of my NetBSD server is good.

For comparison, here are the results using bonnie for a 3, 4 and 5 disk RAID 5 with disks that have 4096 byte sectors:

http://www.netbsd.org/~sborrill/RAIDspeed.pdf

--
Stephen