Re: current kernel + userland just resets

Hi
I've come across several laptops (from different manufacturers) that randomly switch off, the problem has always been traced to a faulty lid switch (the contactless magnetic/hall effect type, not the old style microswitch ones). Change the OS and the problem goes away or the symptom changes. Similarly disable the power management and the problem stopped. Could it be power management shutting down the computer? getting the switch fixed usually requires a keyboard replacement under the warranty.
Mine has a microswitch. I notice that during normal usage the kernel reports acpi lid operations normal. In any case the computer doesn't switch off. I find it with the power led on, warm and with the HDD running. Just black screen, no keyboard response...

Riccardo