Re: NetBSD 6.0

Just to expand on this a bit more:

        src/doc/NetBSD-6

has the headline items which will be in the next release.  In
particular, support for kernel modules needs a little more work, Xen
suspend/resume will also need some more testing, and we'd also like to
have Cherry's Xen MP branch merged.  From a personal PoV, I'd like to
see the kernel-based iSCSI initiator contributed by Wasabi move from
othersrc to src, and riz and I have been working on that for a while
now.
Regards,
Alistair

Speaking as a relative newcomer to NetBSD and indeed to *nix generally
I can say that I have grown accustomed to the pace at which NetBSD
proceeds. I like the way there is never any drama about deadlines. I
do my best to follow the posts to the mailing lists and I like the way
work is done quietly, without any of the fuss that goes with other
OSes. Even significant changes are implemented and announced without
drama. NetBSD is of course a small team which means it takes longer to
bring things to a conclusion, but I appreciate the fact that there is
never a sense of pressure or excessive haste. I've always had the
impression code quality matters, no matter how long it takes, and this
is a breath of fresh air in a world where other OSes are piling one
release schedule upon another, with all the attendant problems that
undue haste brings.
Gerard Lally

Quality matters very much, but I disagree in general. As proof I offer two examples: Hurd/Linux and Debian/Ubuntu. Not all haste is excessive.

All things being relative I am also a newcomer to NetBSD, but I was around in 2006 and I can't help but think of ole' Charlie while reading above...

Anyway, thanks very much for the info, that's what I was looking for. The Xen developments are exciting. I think Xen support is NetBSD's shining jewel at the moment. The modular kernel is going to take some getting used to but if that's the way of the future I'm on board.

-d