Re: Changing default X11_TYPE from native to modular for some platforms (Was: What platforms work with X11_TYPE=native)

On Feb 5, 11:35am, "Greg A. Woods" wrote:
} At Thu, 15 Sep 2011 13:33:45 -0700, jnemeth%victoria.tc.ca@localhost (John
Nemeth) wrote:
} >
} >     Yes, of course that is going to make a difference.  My comment
} > obviously applies to NetBSD-4 as shipped, not some custom hybrid.
}
} Hmmm....  The code I build on NetBSD-4 from HEAD of xsrc is almost
} identical to what's on the netbsd-4 branch of xsrc.
}
} All I do is set these in etc/mk.conf:
}
}       X11SRCDIR ?=    /usr/xsrc-current
}       MKX11 ?=        yes
}
} So as a result ${X11SRCDIR.xc} is still ${X11SRCDIR}/xfree/xc.
}
} I.e. it's all just Xfree86 4.2.0 in both netbsd-4 and HEAD of xsrc.

     Using XFree86 is definitely going to be a problem for large
sophisticated apps.

} Note I'm not actually trying to say that pkgsrc shouldn't switch to
} using its own X11 libraries entirely on NetBSD-4 if that is actually
} necessary -- I'm just extremely curious as to what difference it would
} make.  For my admittedly limited experience with X11 stuff from pkgsrc
} it hasn't made any difference for me yet.  I don't build KDE4 either
} though. :-)

     I did say basic apps could be okay.  But, there would be no hope
of building something like KDE4 (or Gnome).

} BTW, as far as I can tell NetBSD-5 is already using the newer Xorg code
} as the "native" X11 on a few platforms, and if I'm not mistaken that is
} what pkgsrc refers to as "modular", so at least for amd64, i386, macppc,

     "modular" refers to XOrg from pkgsrc.  "native" refers to native
regardless of what it is.

# X11_TYPE
#       The X11 distribution that is used for building X11 packages.
#
#       Possible:
#       * native: use the native X11 distribution
#       * modular: use modular Xorg from pkgsrc
#
#       Default: native, unless defined for a specific operating system
#       in mk/platform/${OPSYS}.mk.

}-- End of excerpt from "Greg A. Woods"