Re: Advice sought: which X11 for NetBSD 5.* (going forward) ??

Robert Elz <kre%munnari.OZ.AU@localhost> writes:

> That is, has the pkgsrc version of X moved far enough ahead of the
> version distributed with NetBSD 5 (releases, what's currently on the

A good question; I have wondered about this myself.

> netbsd-5 branch is 100% irrelevant unless NetBSD 5.2 ever appears)
> that is likely to make it worth the effort of recompiling everything
> from pkgsrc that's X related to do the switch?

(I don't see any reason to run 5.1 release instead of head of netbsd-5,
but I don't think that matters in this case.)

> Note, I'm not concerned (here) about the X server, nor support for
> new graphics hardware, etc - it is the client side that matters for
> this.

My impression had been that the client has been fairly stable, and that
most of the issues have been about server support for new graphics
cards.

> Are there many (NetBSD) users currently using pkgsrc modular Xorg ?

I am currently using pkgsrc xorg on one system, and native on another
(both as desktops, with similar packages), for no particular good reason.

> I'm wondering, as there doesn't eem to be any immediate effort towatds
> fixing stuff with the x11_xcb problem (like x11/startup-notification)
> that compile fine with modular X-org, but fail on NetBSD 5 native X11.
> (It is kind of weird to have packages that build on NetBSD 4, where I
> am using modular Xorg, and fail on NetBSD 5)

But, it seems that modular (pkgsrc) xorg libX11 now has support for
libxcb, whereas netbsd-5 xorg does not.  I'm guessing that's nontrivial
to fix, requiring pulling up a lot of xorg things to netbsd-5.