bash: clean history on logout?

Hi all,

I have a NetBSD 4.0 machine (a few actually) I have taken over from
someone lately that doesn't keep bash history from one session to
another. Everytime I logout it seems to delete the contents of the
.bash_history file. When I login and check the last time modified date
(with 'ls -l .bash_history') it is the same as my last logout time so
I seems obvious that its clearing it somehow at logout.

As this is not regular behaviour I would like to ask you how and why
if possible (security?) you think he set this up to try to revert it.

What i have tried so far is:

- Check .bash_history is a regular file (not a link)
    # ls -l .bash_history
    -rw------- 1 root wheel 10282 Sep  1 12:26 .bash_history

- And that the HISTFILE var points to the right file
     # echo $HISTFILE
     /root/.bash_history

- looked for .bash_logout, but it doesnt exits.

- checked in crontab but there is nothing there.

I don't know where else to look so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!
Fred.