Re: X11 sessions?

On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 4:02 AM, Matthias Scheler <tron%zhadum.org.uk@localhost>
wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 03, 2011 at 09:56:39AM -0700, George Georgalis wrote:
>> Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows how to manage x11 sessions in a
>> manner like screen for terminals.
>
> You probasbly need "Xvfb" and "x11vnc".
>
>> I'm looking for a way to allow multiple users to authenticate to an
>> x11 server via the network, disconnect, re-authenticate from another
>> client and resume the x11 session.
>
> To one X11 server? Or do you want multiple X11 session where each
> user can re-attach to theirs. In that case see above.

Hi Matthias,

I got an offline email about xmove which looks like an old tool
exactly for what I need.

However, the wikipedia pages notes Xpra is a modern reincarnation and
that may be a better option. Both cases it's an x11 server  proxy that
removes (satisfies?) the need for continuous client-server
connections. And they works on window level, not the root window or
wm.

xmove is in pkgsrc though :)

Regards,
-George