Re: Why are drives called "wd0", "wd1", etc?

On 08/04/2011 01:24 PM, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
What does the "w" stand for?

Winchester Disc I've always presumed.

Why Linux calls whatever ..&  BSD .. calls whatever else  should
best be answered by manuals, else if asked&  answered only on mail
list, it will get asked again.  Best send a send-pr for any dev
name that interests you, asking them to add a small line to approriate
man 4 wd + whatever else, with a tiny line: "Historical derivation:

As it turns out, "man 4 wd" already explains everything. I just didn't know that you could look up things like that on man pages. I had it in my mind that man pages explain commands and possibly config files. I think this is just the normal learning curve for Unix. It's just the first time in my life that it occurred to me to ask why a device was named the way it is.

Daniel.
--
I'm not overweight, I'm undertall.