Re: Shutdown

On 23 July 2011 00:04, Clark Chapman <cchapman8%cogeco.ca@localhost> wrote:
> I am a recent convert from Dragonfly running NetBSD 5.1 GENERIC on a
> desktop. One problem still remaining concerns shutdown.
>
> If I enter 'shutdown -h now' the system goes to the message 'Press any key
> to reboot' then I can power off using the power button.
>
> If I enter 'shutdown -p now' the system goes to the message 'acpi0: Entering
> state 5' then the system freezes, the power button doesn't work and I have
> to turn off the power supply.
>
> To complicate matters sometimes everything works perfectly.
>
> I have attached the dmesg.
>
> Thanks, Clark Chapman

Two quick thoughts:

Is there some pattern to when it does & does not work - if you boot to
single user will it consistently poweroff correctly?

If you try booting a recent kernel from the netbsd-5 builds at
http://nyftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/ - or potentially the HEAD
builds does the issue still occur? (You should be able to drop in a
test kernel as /netbsdfoo and boot it leaving everything else alone).
There have been some changes on the netbsd-5 branch since 5.1 which
may affect this, and there have been significant changes on HEAD...