Re: Re (2): NetBSD documentation-hackathon from August 10th to August 14th

Hi Riccardo,

On 7/22/2011 11:39 AM, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

I said it in an earlier post; NetBSD doesn't have a "positioning"
so there is nothing to explicitly draw people to it. Linux, then,
"wins" based solely on "seats" (not merit, etc).
To me, NetBSD is somehow the "bearer" of the BSD flag... and thus the
most Unix thing I can find around.

Agreed.  But, when it comes to "draw people to it", few folks are
*that* concerned with how UNIX-y an OS is.  Indeed, most of the
Linux user camp seems to be folks who want Windows (and all the
tools that are *available* on Windows) without having to *pay*
for it.  Witness how the Linux distros seem to get flashier and
flashier...

For me it is small and efficient. I have it running on Sparc, PPC, x86...

Exactly.  I ran it on SPARC Classics for a number of years (I really
like the lunchbox form factor and power consumption) until I finally
decided the (CPU) horsepower was seriously impacting my productivity
(previously, I would start a build and then go off and do something
else so *I* was still running at 100% even while "waiting").

Recently, I've repurposed all my SPARC iron to run Solaris 8 or 10
as I need those to support some tools only available there.

Today it doesn't feel as fast as it used to be in 1996, but I think it
is more due to the userland than the kernel itself.

The kernel also feels fatter.  But, it isn't really sluggish.  There
have been enough improvements in hardware to more than compensate
for any extra costs that the kernel bears.  I'd rather the cycles
get burned there than in window dressing!

I have it running on a HP Laptop and it does it job very well.

I run and develop GNUstep on it and take care that most/all application
run on it!

Sure, I'd love to have it shine a bit more on some daily workstation /
laptop uses.

<shrug>  I unashamedly use Windows for most of the "pretty"/engineering
tasks that I do.  It's just "no contest" when it comes to 3D CAD,
schematic/PCB tools, DTP, etc.  As I said, these are all just *tools*
to me, not "religious credo".

The thing that troubles me most?

-> drivers, especially on the wireless side... but also I have torubles
with ethernet sometimes on some devices. The same is sadly true with
videocards

Exactly.  For me, working with embedded systems, I can't even claim
to be using "wireless card XYZ" since *this* wireless implementation
might only exist on the hardware that *I* am designing.  So, its
not just a case of picking from a library of N supported cards/adapters
but, rather, a "fresh port" based solely on a chip/chipset.

-> linux emulation. Sadly sometimes I need skype and flash
-> wine doesn't work for me :(

Run windows (wouldn't that also take care of skype and flash?).  <grin>

but generally the OS does quite well, is easy to install... and doesn't
get in your way!!!

Agreed.  As long as the core services are reasonably robust (I don't
even worry about "security" as my development machines sit behind
a "infinite impedance" to The Internet  :> ), the X server is stable,
and gcc/gdb aren't *too* buggy, I'm all set (from the development
point of view).

From the embedded deployment side of the table, things are a bit
more involved.  But, manageable (though ideally more *easily* so)

As you said, it doesn't get in your way.  A carpenter doesn't want
to be *concious* of the hammer in his hand -- he just wants to
*wield* it!

--don