Re: Drives not showing up when plugged into Intel 82801GBM ICH7 SATA controller

On Wed, Jul 06, 2011 at 12:11:22PM +1000, mark hellewell wrote:
> none of the drives I'm plugging in to the Intel 82801GBM ICH7 SATA
> controller even show up in the dmesg (which is reproduced below).

Are you sure that the system is actually using the ICH7 SATA hostadapter?
If it were the device would show up like this:

        ahcisata0 at pci0 dev 31 function 2: Intel 82801GB/GR AHCI SATA
Controller
        ahcisata0: interrupting at ioapic0 pin 19
        ahcisata0: AHCI revision 1.1, 4 ports, 32 command slots, features
0xc720e000

There is however a Marvell storage device of some kind that NetBSD
doesn't recognize:

        vendor 0x11ab product 0x7042 (SCSI mass storage, revision 0x02) at pci1
dev 0 func
        vendor 0x11ab product 0x7042 (SCSI mass storage, revision 0x02) at pci2
dev 0 func

I'm sorry but there is no driver for that, not even in NetBSD-current.
FreeBSD contains a driver called mvs(4) (Marvell Serial ATA Host
Controller driver) for this chip but that will probably be hard to port
to NetBSD. OpenBSD knows the name of the chip but doesn't have a driver.

        Kind regards