Re: NetBSD in production

Hi Stephan,

On 5/29/2011 4:31 AM, Stephan wrote:
I´d like to know who of you is running NetBSD in production. For example

-what kind of application/service

Among others, a distributed inventory control system.

-what platform (type, configuration)

Main "server" runs NetBSD/sparc64 (but that will probably change to
an x86 variant), "consoles" and field I/O run NetBSD/i386 (but that
will probably change to an ARM variant)

-what branch

3.1 and 5.1 in various places

-what critically

"Criticality", perhaps? (?)  Bugs/downtime affect how well you can
update and query current inventory status (i.e., down is A Bad Thing)

-what version(s) of NetBSD
-what pros do you see

Uptime, uptime, uptime!  :>  Reasonably small resource requirements
let me downsize the non-server portions of the system.

-what is missing / could be improved

I suspect I'll have a hard time finding a robust ARM port that
will support "whatever" I/O's are available on the non-server
portions of the system.  That may end up moving to a Linux
port just to save me the trouble of having to write all that
cruft from scratch (no doubt with poor hardware documentation).

Bottom line:
  "Would you recommend this to a friend?"
  "Most definitely!"

--don