AW: NetBSD in production

> -- Urspr. Mitt. --
> Betreff: NetBSD in production
> Von: Stephan <stephanwib%googlemail.com@localhost>
> I´d like to know who of you is running NetBSD in production. For example

Absolutely YES - shure...

> -what kind of application/service
differently - i.e.:

 - ISP services - like:
 * typical internet hosting services (XEN 3 and 4)
 * NetBSD VMs for rent (XEN 3 and 4)
 * larger DNS machines
 * larger Email Services
 * larger Database Services
 * network infrastructure (routing, switching, firewalling)

- network appliances
 * self build network appliances
 * satellite networking
 * indirect within appliances from other manufacturers and their products

> -what platform (type, configuration)
mainly x68 or amd64 (i.e. HP proliant / XEN), few ARM
different - mostly stable releases (up from 4 ot 5 currently, a few 3.x too)

> -what branch
mainly stable - but mixed too.

We mainly work with pkgsrc and own source based installs.

> -what critically
had / have several probs with some internet apps with:
 - openpam
 - NetBSD's DNS resolving (threaded)

> -what version(s) of NetBSD
a very few 3.x, more 4., mainly 5.1 and partly 6

> -what pros do you see
 - stability
 - reliability
 - efficiency
 - works productively and performant under XEN / provides XEN

> -what is missing / could be improved
 - XEN 4 Dom0
 - IPMI implementations (i.e. On HP)
 - several manufacturer specific drivers for hardware management and network
performance improvements
 - current / new network and cluster filesystems
 - DVB-S2 stacks

So far until here...

hth
Cheers,