Re: NetBSD 5.1 AMD64 not recognize ethernet card

On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 1:38 PM, patricio retamales
<patricioretamales1%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a laptop Acer Aspire 5738 and I installed NetBSD 5.1 AMD64, but
> ethernet card is not recognized.
> I have recompiled the kernel with this options
>
> options     PCI_INTR_FIXUP        # PCI interrupt routing via ACPI
> options    PCI_BUS_FIXUP        # fixup PCI bus numbering
> options    PCI_ADDR_FIXUP        # fixup PCI I/O addresses
>
> but still the ethernet card is not recognized.
>
> Ethernet card and wifi is recognized in NetBSD current, but I can't use
> NetBSD current because I use NetBSD for the work.
>
> Any suggestion?

Could you provide some more details on which card this is?  I.e. what
hardware it is if you know it and, specially:

1) What messages the -current kernel prints when it detects the card.
2) The output of "pcictl /dev/pci0 list" and "pcictl /dev/pci0 list
-n" (for pci0, pci1, etc.).

It's possible that 5.1 just lacks a hardware identifier match for your
card in an existing driver, in which case the fix is trivial, or it
could be that 5.1 lacks the driver altogether...  In any case, you
should file a PR in the kern category asking for a pull up to the
netbsd-5 branch.  Feel free to reply to this thread with the PR number
once you have one.

--
Julio Merino / @jmmv