Re: pkgsrc as non-root user?

> least, you need to set UNPRIVILEGED to “yes”; this will turn on
> unprivileged mode and set multiple related variables to allow
> installation of packages as non-root."

> Which is fine -- I can edit mk.conf as apropriate.
Variable UNPRIVILEGED is set to YES automatically if you bootstrap
pkgsrc using 'bootstrap --unprivileged' command. For example,

   cd /usr/pkgsrc/bootstrap
   ./bootstrap --unprivileged --prefix ~/pkg

It makes sense you have no access to root or if you want to have
multiple instances of pkgsrc packages on single host.

> But is the expectation that pkgsrc still resides under "/usr"
No. It is better to select different location, for example, inside your
home directory.

> -- and
> if so, am I supposed to manually fix up the permissions on
> /usr/pkgsrc/* myself so that a non-root user can rw there?
I personally always 'chown -R cheusov /usr/pkgsrc' on all my systems.
I never edit files under /usr/pkgsrc using root.
You can also have pkgsrc under ~/pkgsrc for example.

--
Best regards, Aleksey Cheusov.