2 Questions: Static building: How is it done? / A.out unsupported?

Greetings NetBSD-users,

while trying building 5.1 amd64 i tried out several ways for building NetBSD
statically linked, but none of them worked. Thes way included running build.sh
in an environment with CRUNCHEDPROG=1 (inspirated by the /rescue Makefile) and
of course the way described in the NetBSD guide, setting LDSTATIC in
/etc/mk.conf.

Sadly neither of these worked, so i want to ask humble what the way for making
static builds is the preferred one these days.

The secound question refers to the a.out executable format. I'd like to build
NetBSD as a.out, but the OBJECT_FMT variable seems not supported any more. On
the NetBSD Feenode IRC channel it was told to me that a.out in general isn't
supported any more, but this is questionable to me, so i'm asking here again
for verification of this thesis.

Please don't tell me that a.out in special and static executables in general
are nothing good to do, i experienced various insults on the #netbsd irc
channel belonging the statically linked executables ranging from 'that gives
you no advantage' (which i don't believe even if it's told to me another
hundred times) to that i am stupid at all.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated,
thanks in advance,
John Seppman, Austria