Re: Device assignment order

On 3/8/2011 9:31 AM, Scrap Happy wrote:
Hi,

I'm building a new kernel to add support for second
IDE controller -- pdcide(4) -- in this PV715N. My
first attempt at doing so resulted in "wd0" being
enumerated on the pdcide device instead of the wdc
device (which, of course, put all my filesystems in
the wrong place -- boo!).

When devices in configuration file are wildcarded,
how does kernel assign identifiers to them? I am
*guessing* (haven't found the right man(1) page
to clarify this :< ) that they are enumerated in
the order declared in the config file?

Ooops!  Not quite that simple.  :<  (sure would be
nice to have three-dimensional consoles to present
some of this stuff!!  :>)

OK, I think I've sussed it out.  Thanks!
--don