Re: system unresponsive on insertion of USB stick

At Wed, 2 Mar 2011 23:28:01 +0100,
hans dinsen-hansen wrote:

> Hi Markol
>
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Marko Schütz Schmuck
> <MarkoSchuetz%web.de@localhost> wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I just inserted a usb stick and the system repeatably became
> > unresponsive. HD light was on/flickering, but keyboard/mouse
> > interactions didn't work. Also sleep-button didn't have an effect. The
> > relevant snippet from the log:
> >
> > Mar  2 10:37:03 prpad /netbsd: umass0: SanDisk Corporation U3 Cruzer Micro,
> > rev 2.00/0.10, addr 2
> > Mar  2 10:37:03 prpad /netbsd: umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
> > Mar  2 10:37:03 prpad /netbsd: scsibus0 at umass0: 2 targets, 2 luns per
> > target
> > Mar  2 10:37:03 prpad /netbsd: sd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0: <SanDisk, U3
> > Cruzer Micro, 4.05> disk removable
> > Mar  2 10:37:03 prpad /netbsd: sd0: 1952 MB, 3967 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512
> > bytes/sect x 3999373 sectors
> > Mar  2 10:37:03 prpad /netbsd: cd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 1: <SanDisk, U3
> > Cruzer Micro, 4.05> cdrom removable
> > Mar  2 10:38:18 prpad syslogd: restart
> >
> > Is this known? I didn't find it in gnats (but didn't look too hard...).
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Marko
>
> First of all: I have not seen your problem -- but:
>
> I have noticed that some USBsticks present themselves at CD.
> I have also experienced that some of KDE' CD-reading programs do
> strange things with the CDs e.g. they want to access CDs in a very
> special way.  That gave endless messages on console and log.
>
> What I would suggest - if you use KDE is to stop KDE with
>   /etc/rc.d/kdm stop
> Then look if your messages stop.  If they do, then find out how NetBSD
> sees your stick with
>   disklabel sd0
> and
>   fdisk sd0
> With dd save the first part of the stick.  If partition d describes
> your whole stick, you could for instance make
>   dd if=/dev/sd0d of=safety bs=1m count=$enough
> Then try to set the disk parameters with
>   fdisk --u sd0
> and make it into an MSDOS file system with
>   newfs_msdos /dev/rsd0d
> or whatever you want
>
> If anything goes wrong you can restore your stick with
>   dd <back again>

thank you very much for the advice. This was someone else's stick, not
mine. I doubt I will ever have to connect it again, but I was
surprised at how my laptop reacted: in almost a decade of using NetBSD
on laptops I hadn't seen anything like this and was wondering if
someone had seen this before.

Thanks again for the advice.

Best regards,

Marko