Re: Confused about power management

On Feb 16, 2011, at 7:38 AM, Jared McNeill wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Feb 2011, Stephen Krautheim wrote:
>> Something tells me that I may not be able to do quite this trick, as I think
>> LAN activity alone is not enough to wake, which is OK (but not preferred)
>> because I purposefully sought out a low power motherboard - but I at least
>> would like to spin the drives down when not in use.
>
> The atactl command controls when disks spin down, see specifically the
> setidle and setstandby device commands. They let you do something like this:
>
>  # place disk into Idle mode after 30s inactivity
>  atactl wd1 setidle 30
>  # place disk into Standby mode after 60s inactivity
>  atactl wd1 setstandby 60

That gives me most of what I want.  Are the atactl commands perpertual, or is
this something I must do after each reboot?  In this case, is it the drive
firmware that monitor the activity, or the OS?

Also, I have three drives.  wd0 and wd1 are in a RAID 1 configuration with
RAIDframe.  I  assume that I must issue the command to both individually, and
not to the raid0 device?  Will that screw up my RAID setup?

Thanks for all the help.

Stephen