Re: IPMI SOL and console baud rate

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 6:40 PM, Jonathan A. Kollasch
<jakllsch%kollasch.net@localhost> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 06:19:59PM -0600, Zack Brown wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 5:34 PM, Jonathan A. Kollasch
>> <jakllsch%kollasch.net@localhost> wrote:

>> > Interesting, almost as if some packets are getting stuck in a queue.

>> > I somewhat doubt it's a baud rate issue.
>> >
>> > I'm curious, does the IPMI controller have an exclusive ethernet port?
>> > If it doesn't, we might need to be careful about what we do with the
>> > NIC it's using.
>>
>> The controller doesn't have its own port, it shares.
>>

>> > You might try playing with the SOL port when something else is the
>> > console device, perhaps try upping the NICs and then trying serial.
>> > But it's entirely possible we've reset too much of the chip by then.
>>
>> Ahah!  'ifconfig -a' listed bnx0 and bnx1, which I thought was the
>> second ethernet port.  Turns out bnx1 is what NetBSD is recognizing
>> IPMI on.  So now as soon as getty runs, I quickly log in on the
>> physical console and run 'ifconfig bnx1 up', which causes the IPMI I/O
>> to immediately start working on the remote computer.
>>

>> > Are the NICs of the wm(4) variety?  Intel has a manual that covers
>> > some remote management capabilities that were added to the family
>> > after wm(4) was originally written.
>> >
>> >        Jonathan Kollasch
>> >

>> According to the man page, yes, wm(4) is being used.
>
> Not bnx(4)?

Whoops, my bsd-newbieness is showing :).  Yeah, I guess I'm using bnx(4).

>> So now my only problem is waking up bnx1 automatically.  I stumbled on
>> this mail chain from the freebsd-stable list, which seems to concern
>> the same problem:
>> http://old.nabble.com/IPMI-Console%3A-No-luck-once-OS-is-booted-td18910013.html
>> In particular, this message
>> http://old.nabble.com/Re%3A-IPMI-Console%3A-No-luck-once-OS-is-booted-p18914044.html
>> mentions removing the em driver from the kernel, would this be likely
>> to work in NetBSD (using wm instead)?
>
> I think the general idea would be to whitelist the NIC that doesn't have
> the IPMI SOL console running on it in the kernel config(5) file.
>
> Something like appending:
>
> no bnx* at pci?
> bnx0 at pciX dev Y function Z
> (where X Y and Z are appropriate for the bnx(4) that isn't the console)
>
> (And then of course recompiling.)
>
> But ideally, the solution is to not down the interface when we attach it...
>
>> Thanks so much for the help!
>
> You're welcome.
>
>        Jonathan Kollasch

After I sent the mail, I messed around with /etc/rc.conf.  It turns
out I can get it to work by adding 'ifconfig_bnx1=[inet addr, netmask,
media autoselect]" to rc.conf.  This still causes the freeze partway
through the kernel output, but it all gets spit out as soon as getty
starts.  I'm thinking the freeze is probably remedied by modifying the
kernel config like you said above.  This has really helped me out a
lot, thank you again!

Zack