Re: Videocard

On 29.01.2011 21:59, Dima Veselov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I wish to buy a new dual-head videocard for my NetBSD installation
> and wish to know what chipset is best practice for using on NetBSD
> 5.1/amd64 and NetBSD-current. The main purpose is mplayer and simple
> terminal windows.
>
> Does anybody have an experience to share?
>
> Thanks in advance.

I would advise against recentish Evergreen (ATI Radeon 58xx-59xx) chips.
Performance in 2D is abysmal under X.org, but that does not seem to be
NetBSD's specific (tested under Ubuntu months ago, and symptoms were the
same): full screen videos on a core i7 is about 1-2 frames/s, and flash
emulation simply does not work (Youtube's videos can't be played, plain
and simple). No DRI, last time I checked.

Perhaps NVidia cards would fare better with nv(4), but I did not test
recent ones.

--
Jean-Yves Migeon
jeanyves.migeon%free.fr@localhost