Re: Build breakage on netbsd-5, now Results of new NetBSD-5.1_STABLE

On Fri 28 Jan 2011 at 10:55:23 +0000, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> Now I wonder if there is a way to switch from one wm to another, such
> as from twm to icewm, without going to a text-mode command prompt in
> between.

Yes, that is possible, depending on how the window manager was started.
In some session startup scripts, the window manager is started last, and
in the foreground, so that if the window manager quits, the X session
quits. Fortunately this is not so in the default scripts
(/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc).

So you can choose the quit option from the window manager's menu, or if
it isn't there, you can just kill it. You're operating without a wm
then, which is a bit awkward - avoid having too many windows when you do
it. If they overlap you can't change them. Then you can just start a new
wm from an xterm prompt.

> Tom
-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- There's no point being grown-up if you
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl    -- can't be childish sometimes. -The 4th Doctor