USB 3G dongles in Australia?

I'm toying with the idea of getting a 3G wireless USB dongle for my
NetBSD laptop but wondering whether anyone has any experience with this
in Australia (preferably with Telstra, since they have better coverage)

It's difficult to know which chipset is on the inside when visiting a
retailer and trying out their stock, but are there any that I should
look out for in particular as being worth while (or, alternatively, ones
to avoid)?

Unfortunately I don't know which standards are used in Australia to know
whether purchasing a dongle over the Internet would work with a local
SIM ...

Regards,
Malcolm

--
Malcolm Herbert                                This brain intentionally
mjch%mjch.net@localhost                                                left