Re: Mac and NetBSD compatible usb to serial rs-232 (was: which serial-to-usb devices do you use?)

On Jan 14, 2011, at 8:12 AM, Jeff Rizzo wrote:
> Have you downloaded the driver from ftdi?  I've used them successfully under
> both MacOS and NetBSD, but you do need to install the driver on MacOS.

Seconded.  The FTDI USB-to-serial devices work well with both platforms (I was
using them for a GPS receiver for NTP time-sync'ing purposes), but they tend to
identify themselves as generic USB devices rather than as, say, a modem.

The system-provided USB drivers which come with MacOS would recognize the
latter, just as they understand USB pointing devices or mass storage devices
without a vendor-specific driver, but you need to install FTDI's driver if they
are being seen as generic USB devices....

Regards,
--
-Chuck