cron on laptops

From hints in an old PR (misc/11011) and from the discussion of
CRON_WITHIN in crontab(5), I get the impression that NetBSD's cron
implementation already handles situations where the machine is not on
all the time (e.g. laptops), starting any jobs that were scheduled to
run while the machine was off at the next boot.  This would obviate
the need for specialized tools like time/anacron.  Is this indeed the
case?  If so, is it documented anywhere?  I could find no mention of
it in cron(8).

Thanks,

Ian Leroux