Dead keys in gtk emacs

There was a fix discussed on tech-x11 a few months ago [1] to the X
configuration for UTF-8 locales to allow dead key composition to be
handled by the X server.  It was pulled up as of netbsd-5-1-RC1.
Having updated to the latest netbsd-5 on Friday I've been enjoying the
fruits of that fix: I can use a us_intl keyboard and input accented
characters everywhere (joy!).  Everywhere, that is, except emacs-gtk,
which complains "<dead-acute> is undefined".  Running emacs inside a
terminal works, since it then gets ready-made accented characters from
the terminal.  Emacs' internal iso-transl library can also be used to
work around this, but it bugs me that the built-in X mechanism isn't
working consistently across all apps.  Is anyone else seeing this on
netbsd, or should I take the matter upstream (or to a different list)?

FWIW:
~ $ locale
LANG=""
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_ALL=""

XMODIFIERS is not set, and I'm not running any XIM servers.

[1] http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-x11/2009/06/07/msg000511.html

Ian Leroux