5.1_RC4 - gdb can't attach to processes

Hi all,
I'm running NetBSD/i386 5.1_RC4 that I built a few days ago and I'm having some trouble with gdb. It attaches to the target process, but doesn't seem to know that it attached, so I can't debug my program. Gdb prints the message "ptrace: No such process.", but when I quite gdb, the process sure looks like someone has attached a debugger to it.

Has anyone seen this before or have any idea what is going on?

Here is a cut and paste of a debug session showing this behaviour.

Cheers,
Lloyd

homarid-5.1_RC4$ ps x
  PID TTY   STAT    TIME COMMAND
 7898 ttyp0 S+   0:00.02 ./poll/poll
26751 ttyp0 S+   0:00.01 receive
23354 ttyp2 O+   0:00.00 ps -x
homarid-5.1_RC4$ gdb
GNU gdb 6.5
This GDB was configured as "i386--netbsdelf".
(gdb) attach 26751
Attaching to process 26751
ptrace: No such process.
(gdb) bt